... a mother, writing about adventures in assisting and advocating for her young adult son who has special needs,
invites you to come along for the ride.




Tuesday, January 27

CAR TROUBLE...

.

I drive a minivan.

There... I've said it. It's not your most bragged-about vehicle, but I probably would brag about mine except that people would think I'm crazy. After all, what would make a woman who is "50-something" ever WANT to drive a minivan? You see... my days of carting youngsters to baseball and soccer fields, and teens to driver's ed. and band practices are over! My three sons are all grown-ups now.

However, my youngest son has special needs, lives at home with us, and is dependent upon me for his transportation. The minivan fits my son's abilities and his accessibility requirements. So... I drive the minivan, thankful that one of life's hurdles to my son's independence is made easier.

This morning on the way to David's day hab program, I felt the car engine "knocking" (or so I thought) and sighed, thinking that I needed to set up an appointment at the dealer. I don't have a lot of extra time, and none that I'd want to spend it a the dealer's repair shop. But I'd already envisioned myself there. Then I turned to glance into the back seat where David rides, and this is where I burst into laughter. : )

As it turned out, the "lags" in my van's engine were being caused by my son - not really an engine problem at all. You see, David was keeping time to the music on the radio, leaning forward and backwards with what resembles rocking motions. This is his method of keeping time with the music, and he is very precise with this "nodding" to the beat.

But today he was "really into it", swaying forward almost to his knees then swaying to the back of his captain's chair before swaying forward again. Listening to the radio, David was worshipping along with his all-time favorite artist, Michael W. Smith, to the song "A New Hallelujah". David's friend Clayton also loves worship songs from "Michael W.", and is probably worshipping along with him this week... and so are many others of us, including his mother.


Indeed, "Let the song arise"!



"Sing to the LORD a new song;
sing to the LORD, all the earth."



...

No comments: